Friday, October 12, 2007

Month of Ramadhan, di bumi Kiwi

When students study overseas, people back home always think they will neglect their obligations, obligations like fasting. I however don't get why that is, because I find it hell of a lot easier to fast here than in Malaysia. True, when you are overseas, there are no Islamic departments who are gonna catch you when you don't fast, there are basically no other muslims that will look at you funny when you don't fast, but of course like everything else we do, god knows, god always knows...

I admit, I am not the most pious of men, but I always try my best to make Ramadhan meaningful. It is such a special month, and a chance for all muslims to become better muslims. As I have said, fasting here in the land of sheep is really not hard, easier than in Malaysia. Here, the weather is cold, and we don't sweat, and therefore thirst is less. I even go on with my weekly football match, not at full force of course, but I wouldn't try that feat in Malaysia, Also, I played in a handball tourney while fasting. So really, no excuse not to fast, really other than that student herself or himself that want to or not.

As for the understanding of what fasting is amongst the kiwi's and my other non-muslim friends, they're pretty cool about it. They ask questions about it, and ask how we can function without food and stuff. After I explained, they understand better, and eventually fell that its not that bad. They think that its no food or drink for the whole day.

Probably the most challenging thing fasting here is the people here won't cover if they want to eat, because they don't have to. People in Malaysia, the tolerant ones that is usually try their best to not to eat in front of their muslim friends, but here, you cannot blame them really. Its not their culture to do so, and so we have to accept it as a test during Ramadhan, part and parcel of fasting.

As for buka puasa, I am thankful that the surau here at Massey holds break fasts every Monday till Thursday, where the Omani Students Associations donates food for iftar, and bloody good food if I may add. We eat "talam" style, where they put rice and meat on a single tray, and a group of 5-6 eats off it simultaneously. I can safely say, Malaysians are the champions when it comes to food, as we are always the last to finish, due to us having second servings all the time. "Masyallah Malaysians" one of the Omani brothers said as he saw how spirited we are when it comes to eating, smaller sized than them, but eat 3 times as much.

As for the weekends when there are no iftar available at the surau, there are always friends that invite me over to their place to eat. First week it was the Rotary Peoples, second week Imran's crib, 3rd week the MUMSA buka puasa event, and 4th week it was Safwan's crib. Alhamdulillah, all my ramadhan cravings were met, including teh tarik which I made myself, but not as "KAW" as the mamaks do, but ok lah.

So after 4 weeks of fasting, which went pretty fast, my first Hari Raya away from home comes along.

2 comments:

Lutfi Belwael said...

Shah, I get a lot of ideas when I read your entries. I like the flow, the coherence if i must say. You have writing flair, and you should know that.

What I can see in the near future is a published best-selling book with the engravings "Shariddin Baharudin" as the author. Just don't forget me when you become all famous ok? Haha!

One more, about the talam-styled eating. I think the term "seconds" is defeated by the fact that it isn't called "seconds" when it's three times. "Seconds" is purely an understatement. :)

Lutfi Belwael said...

*Shahriddin